I finally made it to Noir City: New York at the Paris Theater in Manhattan, and it was everything I hoped it would be.
Noir City New York is hosted by Eddie Muller—the "Czar of Noir" himself and founder and president of the Film Noir Foundation. What started in San Francisco in 2003 has grown into the country's premier film noir festival and is the centerpiece of the Film Noir Foundation's mission to preserve and celebrate these incredible films for future generations.
As soon as I realized I'd be back in New York while Noir City was happening, I said to my sister, "We've got to go!"
Unfortunately, we caught the festival at the tail end of its run, so we only had the chance to catch one screening. I would've loved to see more because the lineup looked fantastic. Still, I was just happy to be there and finally experience Noir City for myself.
Now, to explain why this meant so much to me, I have to go back about twenty years ago.
I'd already seen quite a few film noir movies, but I didn't even realize they were called film noir at the time. Then one evening, I attended Film Forum in NYC to see Odd Man Out (1947), starring James Mason. By the time the credits rolled, I was hooked.
That was it. That's when my love affair with film noir really began. Like one of Robert Mitchum's characters, I was lured into the shadows by a femme fatale—and I've happily been trapped there ever since.
From there, I dove headfirst into the genre. I started reading everything I could get my hands on, studying the history of film noir, and watching Noir Alley with Eddie Muller on TCM every chance I got. Before long, I was teaching acting students about film noir—its history, the acting style, the atmosphere, the themes, and recommending essential noir films they needed to watch. I completely immersed myself in this fascinating, shadowy world, and my appreciation for it has only grown over the years.
So getting the chance to finally attend one of Eddie Muller's Noir City festivals felt like everything had come full circle.
My sister and I attended the East Coast premiere of the new 4K restoration of Out of the Past (1947), starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, and Kirk Douglas.
I've seen Out of the Past several times before. I've watched Eddie's introductions on Noir Alley countless times. But seeing the film on the big screen with a theater full of fellow classic film lovers was, and remains, a completely different experience. I say this all the time: if you love classic films, go see them with other classic film fans whenever you get the chance.
No matter how many times you've seen a movie, seeing it with an audience is a whole new experience. I always notice things I never caught before or feel something different. I saw The Blob on the big screen, and it felt completely different. I saw All About Eve in a theater and found myself tearing up for the first time.
That's exactly what happened here.
Before the feature, Eddie Muller came out and introduced the film. I've seen him on television for years, but seeing him in person was such a treat.
He shared stories about the making of Out of the Past, the on-screen rivalry between Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, and his friendship with Jane Greer, one of classic film noir's quintessential femme fatales. Between all the stories, he had the audience laughing the whole time.
At one point, as he started walking off the stage, someone called out, "Aren't you going to stay and watch the movie?"
Without missing a beat, Eddie smiled and replied, "I've seen it over a hundred times."
Then came another unexpected treat. Many of this year's Noir City screenings were paired with Looney Tunes shorts that matched the feature, and ours was "Bugs and Thugs" from 1954. I'd never seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon in a movie theater before. Watching a room full of adults laughing together at Bugs Bunny was awesome.
One of my favorite parts of the evening wasn't even watching the movie itself.
It was watching everyone else watch it.
Eddie asked how many people had never seen Out of the Past, and I'd say about forty or fifty percent of the audience raised their hands. That made it even more exciting because I knew what was coming. I found myself looking around, waiting for their reactions and especially my sister's, since she'd never seen it before.
There's something special about sharing a classic film with first-time viewers.
And that new 4K restoration? Absolutely gorgeous!
I don't think I've ever seen a film noir look so crisp, rich, and beautiful. Every shadow, every beam of light, every close-up just popped. Noir is already such a visual genre, but seeing it projected the way it was meant to be seen makes you appreciate it even more.
I couldn't stop smiling, and I wish I'd taken more pictures of Eddie while he was speaking, but honestly, I was too busy soaking it all in and being in the moment.
For a couple of hours, the outside world disappeared. It was just a room full of people who love classic movies. People laughing and reacting together. Appreciating a film that's nearly eighty years old as if it had just been released.
That feeling is hard to put into words. It's comforting. It's exciting. And it gives me hope because it reminds me that these films still matter. People still care enough to leave their homes, sit in a dark theater, and experience them together.
I've had similar experiences before. When I saw Grease back in theaters, people were singing along, dancing during the big musical numbers, and cheering at all the moments they knew were coming. It wasn't distracting—it was joyful. There was this shared excitement because everyone knew what was about to happen.
Classic film audiences are like that. They celebrate these movies. They know the dialogue. They anticipate the big moments. And when those moments arrive, there's this wonderful energy in the room that you simply can't recreate at home.
If you love classic cinema, don't deprive yourself of that experience. Go to the festivals. Go to the revival screenings. Support your local theaters.
Watch these films the way they were meant to be seen with other people who love them just as much as you do.
Trust me. It's worth every minute.

















No comments:
Post a Comment